The John Green House (JGH) is the oldest remaining Dutch Colonial Sandstone structure in the Village of Nyack NY, built by John Edward Green (1772-1842) in the year 1819. It is listed on both the New York and National Registers of Historic Places.
Latest news: The John Green House now has designation as an Official Village of Nyack landmark! Yay!
John Green’s contributions to Rockland County were broad and impactful (see the History page). The house, however, has fallen into disrepair in recent years, narrowly avoiding the wrecking ball on a number of occasions.
John Green Preservation Coalition
The John Green Preservation Coalition (JGPC) is a local non-profit 501(c)(3) organization formed in 2015 whose mission is to rehabilitate the building for a new use and restore the exterior to its early appearance. JGPC hosts fundraisers, performs outreach, and hosts "work parties" during which the community is welcomed to help at the house site. JGPC has successfully achieved listing of the house on both state and national registers of historic places. JGPC seeks and applies for grants and contributions that will help progress the group's mission.
The coalition has faced many challenges since its inception, but has also hit many key milestones. Click the icon below to see a timeline of some significant events from our history.
(Click the icon for a timeline of achievements)
The JGPC has a compelling future vision for the House that revolves around local art and maritime history. The existing front and back rooms may be converted into a community space, including an art gallery. The 2nd floor and the 3rd floor (the attic) will be converted into beautiful art studio spaces available for rent. The areas of the house related to these promising ideas are shown in their current form below. Much work is needed. You can help!
The John Green House is located in Nyack, NY at the foot of Main Street near the Hudson River. The house is not currently open to the Public.