History of the John Green House
John Green built his three story home on lower Main Street in Nyack, New York and the house was completed in 1819. Although there are still many gambrel roofs in Rockland County it is believed that John Green's house is the last standing gambrel roofed Dutch sandstone house in Nyack.
The house's historic style is indicative of the lower Hudson Valley area (now Rockland and Bergen counties). The gambrel roof (also know as a 'Dutch roof') is a symmetrical two-sided roof with two slopes on each side. The upper slope is positioned at a shallow angle while the lower slope is steep. This design provides the advantages of a sloped roof while maximizing headroom inside the house's upper level and shortening what would otherwise be a tall roof.
The characteristic reddish-brown sandstone bricks used to build the house were created by quarries in Nyack and Grandview. Similar sandstone materials can be seen at the Old Stone Church on North Broadway in Nyack. This Dutch sandstone colonial was also innovative for its time. The flared edges of the roof pulled rainwater away from the house’s foundation in lieu of gutters.
The John Green House's original design is distinctively elegant, and harkens back to Colonial times in the Hudson Valley. It is listed on the New York State and National Registers of Historic Places.